Mandate and stakeholder mapping for the Presidential Committee on the North East Initiative
Conflict, climate and resilience
The Presidential Committee on the North East Initiative (PCNI) was set up to coordinate the work of the very many state and non-state organisations involved in rebuilding the fragile states in north-eastern Nigeria under the ambitious plan developed by the Nigerian Federal Government in 2016. The plan included reconstruction of infrastructure and socio-economic rehabilitation to boost stability, resilience and long-term sustainable development.
With funding from the World Bank, MannionDaniels completed a technical assistance project to support the PCNI and build its organisational capacity so that it could fulfil its mandate and perform within the existing institutional framework. We consulted with many stakeholders including individuals, development partners, donor agencies, federal and state government ministries, departments and agencies so we could develop in-depth understanding of their roles, linkages and relationships with PCNI, capacity gaps and potential for strengthening the PCNI. Then, we recommended remedial action and provided support to help them get started.
Who else is involved
The Centre for Implementation Science, Abuja
What was achieved
- A literature review and mapping of all the stakeholders in the north east including the coordination mechanisms, their roles, linkages, interdependencies and capacity gaps
- Supporting the PCNI to develop effective central recovery coordination mechanisms, including forums such as the Monthly Operational and Strategic Coordination Forums, which provide much needed coherence in coordination to replace ineffective silo-ed approaches
- Supporting the PCNI to develop a comprehensive results framework for coordinated receipt, processing and dissemination of valid data
- Supporting the PCNI to develop a more comprehensive communications strategy and plan, so it could keep key stakeholder groups up to date and help them plan and manage projects more effectively
- Supporting the development of the PCNI’s operational processes, knowledge management, capacity assessment, results and communications frameworks and strategies.